What I learned this week at the craft table

My Thursday night Zoom meeting always brings out the completion of a challenge or two (or 4!), but this week I noticed that many challenges focus was on flowers.  Lucky me!  I just got the new Paint-A-Flower Anemone stamp set from Altenew and I wanted to try it out.




I stamped the big image on Bristol watercolor paper in black (purple)  and antique linen (blue) Ranger Distress Ink, then started with the watercolor.  This was my first learning moment!  The black Distress Ink bleeds when you watercolor it!  Sigh.  Ok, I'm moving on because its art and it all turned out fine in the end.  I used my new Karin Brushmarker Pro watercolor markers, and ya'll they are awesome!  This was my FIRST attempt to full-on watercolor and I ended up with a beautiful, striking bit of artwork that I am super proud of.  I tried several different coloring techniques between the two cards and the different layers and will keep working on it cause it was so much fun!


I mounted the purple card on SU Whisper White cardstock and added some seed pearls.  The sentiment is from the Anemone set and was stamped with the black Distress Ink.  The blue card is mounted on layers of SU Cool Caribbean, Soft Sky and Daffodil Delight.  I flicked some aqua and Distress Ink on the background for texture.

Inspirational Photo Challenge of a single orange daisy in a glass vase for PCC379

I also learned that there is a such thing as too much ink and too much water.  My new task list includes doing a marker color combo chart for the Karin markers so I can blend them with more confidence.  I also want to recreate these cards using SU Stampin Blends markers to see what the different properties of the alcohol ink will give to the overall look and feel of the card.  I am probably going to do an ink color chart for Karin vs. SU ink so I can combine the two as needed (I have reinkers and a full array of stamp pads I can use for watercoloring too) as well as for matching up Karin colors to my hundred+ colors of SU colored paper for paper layering.  The list is long, but I'll find the time!

My second card was made last week but I am finally posting today.  I used SU sparkle paste with several retired SU in-color reinkers (Wisteria Wonder, Baha Breeze, Hello Honey, Lucky Limeade and Raspberry Ripple) on the SU decorative mask to make my dots.  This was new to me so I went through a couple iterations before I was happy with the result.  The HAPPY in the center bled a lot so I decided to trace it on some Lucky Limeade card stock and fussy-cut.  I put a little gloss on top and added Birthday sentiment from an old (old) Paper Pumpkin.


I am entering this one into the Less is More #420, Addicted to CAS, and NBUS Challenge 15.



Thanks for visiting!

Comments

Jan Musselman said…
Wow, your watercoloring is awesome. Beautiful card. Thanks for joining the Paper Craft Crew this week.
Barb Ghig said…
Gorgeous floral cards and I love how you played with the polka dots on the last card, Jeanie! Thanks so much for playing along with us at ATCAS!
Fiona Bradley said…
These are gorgeous! I'm in awe of your beautiful watercolouring and the positioning of the flowers on the card. So glad I came across you on the GDP challenge this week :)
Kayla said…
WOW! These are gorgeous. You are fantastic at colouring!
Thanks for joining in the GDP challenge!
Love Kayla. xx
Darnell said…
Your happy birthday card is very festive, Jeanie, and your watercolored flowers are sensational! I am going to look into those Karin watercolor brushes because I love the bright colors. Both cards are gorgeous! Keep staying safe and thank you for sharing with everyone at NBUS! Hugs, Darnell
Fiona said…
Thanks for sharing with us at HSS this week - such lovely flowers - I'm still on the hunt for nice watercolour paper I like.
Jenny Engelke said…
Wow, the coloring here is absolutely beautiful! What a gorgeous stamp! Thanks for playing along with us at Hand Stamped Sentiments!
Kim said…
Your coloring is gorgeous. I just got this stamp set too and I have not played with it yet! Thanks for the inspiration. Thank you for joining the Paper Craft Crew this week!
Terri said…
Lovely cards - the turquoise one caught my eye immediately - maybe because I love anything that color! I also like the placement of the large image on your card front Thanks for joining our Paper Craft Crew challenge this week!

Popular posts from this blog

Gettin' Beachy

Spring Flowers in August

3 cards in 3 hours